Thursday 21 February 2008

Sic Osyrus Interview



SIC OSYRUS


Few rappers branch out further than their own nation at an early stage in their career yet Philly born rapper Sic Osyrus is doing just that! With mixtape features in the UK and France as well as his native America this rapper is most definitely one to watch for in 2008.
Taking influence from the late great Tupac Shakur amongst others and with nothing more than the desire to show his son a positive way in life it is easy to see why Sic Osyrus is making noise and getting the people interested.
Defining his musical style as "if my skin could talk" I’m sure we now have your attention! So sit back, relax and take in the inspirational words of a rising star as Yo! Raps brings you Sic Osyrus.


For those unfamiliar give us a breakdown of who Sic Osyrus actually is?


Sic Osyrus is a starving artist out hear to make his mark on the music world, I'm looking to bring real experiences and life's untimely struggles to the forefront.


Tell us about your recent release "Just Heat Part 2" that you hosted for DJ Ophax. What response have you been getting?


Response has been great; you can actually download it at www.myspace.com/sicosyrus1. My overseas DJ's have been supporting my movement heavy. I'm also hosting DJ Bedtyme357's (Remy Ma's and my DJ) "Concealed Weapons Pt 2" and DJ 1 Mic's "Get Down Or Lay Down" which is an all Philly mixtape, and then my mixtape comes mid February, the follow up to my critically acclaimed "Sic-O-Nomics". I was on over 30 mixtapes in 2007, at least that I know about.


Was music something you always wished to be involved in?


Definitely, but I didn't get real serious with it until after my cousin UN passed, and then after I got locked and came home, my team Inasirkl had me running out the gate, 2007 has been an incredible year honestly.


You were nominated at this year 2007 UMA's for Best Male Rap, that is a huge accomplishment for any artist but what does it mean on a personal level for you?


It’s actually very humbling; when someone recognizes your talents on a level like that you can’t help be humbled. It was a great way to expose my brand and for us to get the internet convinced of the Sic Osyrus and Inasirkl Music Group movements.


There is immense talent right now within Hip Hop, what sets you apart from your competitors?


Well first of let me say I don't try to be different or set myself apart, I just do me, because at the end of the day no one is better at being me, than me. What makes me accelerate is my passion for making music and performing as well as having my team support me while my vision is carried out.


You were born and raised in Philly and openly admit you had a difficult childhood, do you think the experiences you had at a young age have shaped you into the Man you are today?


I would be lying if I said they didn't. Everywhere I have been, every single experience that has affected my life has affected me musically. Some call my music 'Pain' music; because Pain is the only emotion you cannot fake. That is something people must respect.


Everyone has an influence in their lives and people they look up to, who gives you inspiration?


Living a life where I don't have to do anything illegal to stay above the water is what inspires me. Living another day, spitting another verse, not getting swallowed up by the system, those are the things that inspire me. Providing a safe environment for my son. You can’t have anything inspire you more than that.


With such a busy lifestyle how do you ever find time to just kick back and relax?


We really just started, all of what we have done really took place in 2007, I was locked for almost a year and a half so we built the foundations late 2006 but all the press, collabs, music, mix-tapes, awards, shows and travels came in 2007. 2008 is going to be there year that is considered the pay off. I’m not concerned with sitting back and relaxing, I want this too bad to kick back. While I sleep, someone else is trying to take my spot, and that isn’t going to happen.


How would you define your musical style?


I would define it as if my skin could talk. If I experienced it and would Tattoo myself with its words, then I lived it and can communicate it. I just do me.


You have featured on Mix-tapes by the UK's DJ Ames, how did that link come to surface?


My team has the internet going crazy, big shouts to Franchyze and Swirv. Ames caught wind of the music and been on Vol. 10, 11 and 19 of his UK to US series, and we definitely plan on doing some things in 08 together. Big shout to DJ Pimp too in France and Germany.


To date which track from your back catalogue do you believe shows you at your truest form?


Man they all have a special place and represent who I am in a well rounded form. I can’t just pick one. But if you want to know me through my music then download the mixtape at www.myspace.com/sicosyrus1 and you can find out everything you would need to know.


If given the opportunity who would you most like to work with and why?


Probably Tupac because I feel we both show extreme passion for our love of music, but realistically I would love to work with some of the people who I looked up to on the way here like KRS-One and Redman because of what they represented and brought to the game.


Where do you see yourself being in 3 years time?


Hopefully alive and living my dream.


Do you feel there is enough support within Hip Hop for up and coming artists like yourself?


Absolutely, but I think it’s within each of us to prove ourselves first. The days of the demos are gone. Labels want to see me stand on my own two first. Plus I got a surprise for them when they come for me.


Got any shout out's?


Most definitely man, shouts the whole Inasirkl Music Group, J. Hatch, Drawzilla, Franchyze, Bedtyme357, Al Bundles, Swirv, Khadeija, Priscilya, Dejha B, Tammy Feliciano, Don Di Napoli, Ariel, as well as my Decepts, Hook, can´t forget Reem, Nice, TFL, Apple, the rest you already know!


INTERVIEW ORIGINALLY SHOWN AT:

No comments: