Friday 15 February 2008

DJ Smallz Interview



DJ SMALLZ


DJ Smallz is undoubtedly one of the hottest DJ’s on the planet right now, with a string of successful mixtapes under his belt and various other business ventures keeping him busy we decided it was time to catch up with the Japan born DJ to see what has been happening over the last 12 months.


Hey Smallz, thanks for taking the time out to do this interview with us, let me get right to it and ask how did the DJ Smallz/ Southern Smoke brand get to the status it is at?


Well my head was really into school. I got a scholarship to collegeand everything. I was DJin' as a hobby ever since middle school and Iwas ready to get my club game poppin in high school. The firstsouthern smoke CD was really a demo for me to get into clubs. It wasthe hottest southern music put together, mixed by me. People passedthe CD around in high school and clubs, word of mouth spread and onething led to another. That's how the southern smoke movement reallybegan.

You work hard and constantly push out new Mixtapes, what is the biggest accomplishment of your career so far?


Touring overseas and really getting a chance to see my fans up close.Last year i DJ'd parties in Canada, Germany, Japan & Switzerland andit was crazy! I just came back from Japan as a matter of fact, i did4 shows there over labor day weekend. Wait until you see the footagewe got for Southern Smoke TV that will be debuting on our YouTubechannel next month (SouthernSmokeTV.com). It's the 2nd time I went ontour in Japan... I was there last summer for several shows in Tokyo.This year I went over there and smashed shows in four major cities inJapan --- Osaka, Tokyo, Fukouka and Okinawa. "It's Southern Smoke youbastards!!!"

Tell us about the College Tour CD, I hear you are pressing up 25,000 just to give away?


Yes, the first annual Southern Smoke College Tour is incredible.We're hitting up 9 major homecomings throughout the South, primarilyin Florida and we are adding on more dates as we speak. It's the firststreet brand with its own tour, and its been in the planning stagesfor the last 9 months. We are breaking artists on every tour date!Flo-Rida (Poe Boy/Atlantic), Kinfolk Kia Shine (Universal Records) andFoxx (Trill Ent/Asylum) are the headlining acts this year, and it'shosted by Delicious & Tango (of "Flavor of Love" & "I Love NY" on VH1)as well as the cast of "College Hill" from BET last season. Inaddition to breaking new artists on the tour, we are also breaking newtalent with 25,000 cds i put together just to give away! I startedthe contest a month ago and received hundreds and hundreds of songsfrom new talent across the South. Throughout this overwhelmingprocess we found 20 records we are really excited about! You candownload the Tour CD for free on djsmallz.com october 20th.

You have had the benefit of working with some of today’s hottest artists, who inspires you within the music world?


Uncle Luke of 2 Live Crew inspired me in entreprenural ways as he isalways promoting a new product or investing into another endeavor.Young Jeezy inspired me by the way he marketed himself incredibly inthe streets and how he invested his money wisely to do so. Lil' Waynehas inspired me as of late, with his constant grind and using hisincredible talent to open doors for his own team (cash money records).These are just a few examples of many.

Did you always want to be a DJ from a young age?


Yes, from about middle school foward. I was actually into thepercussion side of things early on in my career. I can play a 12piece drum set like Travis Barker (laughing). Honestly though, i cantune by ear and read music notes. I've been into music from the verybeginning as long as i can remember.

For those who are no familiar, you were actually born in Japan. When did your family move to the USA?


I was born on a Navy base in Japan where my father was stationed whenhe was serving our armed forces, i moved to Florida when i was 3 yearsold and been here ever since - hurricanes and all!!! (Laughing)

You recently released a track featuring 30 artists, what was that all about? Is there going to be an album to go with it?


It was really hard to keep a record of this magnitude from leaking inthe streets and making this a real industry surprise. This record isamazing, I'm even gonna go all in and call this record a streetsymphony!!! I recorded over 60 different verses for this record from60 different artists across the state, and I only released 30 of themso far... the record took 2 months to create and I produced the trackmyself! It was great to see it finally release during the Ozone awardsin Miami this year. I'm representing every hood, county and artist onthe grind thats the "Future of Florida"... matter of fact, 2 artiststhat were on the gunshine state record signed to major deals after wereleased the record the very next week! Treal from Orlando, FL signedto Universal Republic and Haitian Fresh from Daytona Beach, FL signedto Wyclef Jean's new venture with Universal called Sak Pase Records...I'm really workin right now Florida!!!

If given the chance to work with alongside anyone within the music world who would you chose and why?


I have two artists that come to mind.... Andre 3000 and Scarface.These guys are legends, its only right that we get together and makehistory at some point.

You recently created a link with Underground Promotion UK, tell us about this? How did the link come about?


It was an easy link, especially when i saw Underground Promotion UKdoing its thing from day one, its only right that the #1 DJ in theSouth got with the #1 UK Promotional Company in the UK!!!

What can we expect from you in the future?


Expect the unexpected!!! (Laughing)... Look out for the "SouthernSmoke College Tour" this fall... as well as "Southern Smoke TV" withQD3 (creator of the "Beef" series" at the top of the year... and ofcourse the "Southern Smoke" album summer of 2008, with the firstsingle featuring your favorite rappers leaking very soon. Also be onthe lookout for my production game... I'm shopping beats to a lot ofmajor artists from Ludacris to Young Dro... so be on the lookout forthat as well.

Any shout out’s?


Don't forget to check out the official website DJSmallz.com. I lovebreaking new artists and new music. If you need a CD Hosted hosted oryou need me to DJ your party or event, please send me a messagethrough DJSmallz.com. Big shout to British Hip Hop for holding medown always!!!

For DJ Smallz contact in the UK please visit
www.myspace.com/undergroundpromotionuk
or e mail
upuk@hotmail.co.uk

INTERVIEW ORIGINALLY SHOWN AT:

No comments: