Thursday 21 February 2008

DJ Ames Interview


DJ AMES

Who is DJ AMES?

DJ Ames is a hardworking mixtape DJ that wants to hear new music and enjoys getting new and talented artists the exposure they deserve. I’m also very honest which can not be a good thing as many people easily take offence to the truth.

Did you always want to be a DJ?

I’ve always loved music and loved the US mixtape scene but it wasn’t until I was 18 that I started to make things happen, that’s when I bought my first set of turn table and started building my vinyl collection.

What has been your most successful release to date?

I class everything I release as a success even if it doesn’t make me money I look at the promotion aspects overall. UK – US WE AINT PLAYIN it’s the one I’m most happy with as it’s a transatlantic projects putting both UK & US artists together one album. Which is something not many people will do.

So far who have you enjoyed working with the most?

I have worked with so many people that have been really cool so it’s hard to say, as there so many talented artists that come to me.

You must be sent hundreds of tracks from aspiring artists for your mix-tapes, do you use them all?

No I don’t use them all, I’m very picky. If people send me tracks that have been recorded poorly ill give them advice on what to do and tell them to email with me a better quality. I do try and show everyone love and use there tracks but sometimes with the amount I get it’s hard. I’m also a member of US based dj crew THE FLEET DJ’s so I get a lot f exclusive stuff from the major labels also. Ill get tracks that won’t be heard in the UK for another 6months which is always good to have.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Hopefully in America as that’s where the mixtape game is buzzin. But we’ll see and ill take each day as it comes, I don’t like getting my hopes built up too much as it avoids disappoint. At the mo I’m still working 9 – 5 which funds all my projects so as long I’m earning money and doing music I’m happy.

Tell us one thing about you we would not know just by looking at you?

I’m more connected in the music industry than people think! (Not being big headed there just people take one look think you’re a no body and don’t give you the time of day)

Is it true you have completed over 100 mix-tapes since 2005?

That’s not true. I only started doing mix-tapes at the back end of December 06. I released my first album Raw Talent Vol 1 in August 2006 and then I did nothing for a few months.
In 2007 I’ve done over 70 mix-tapes and released my second album UK – US WE AINT PLAYIN. So let’s just say I’ve done a lot this year.

Everyone has someone they admire and look up to, who gives you inspiration?

Westwood is one person I’ve always looked up to he inspired me to get into DJ ing, but DJs like Green Lantern, Drama & Kay Slay are well established DJs in the mixtape game.

What can we expect from DJ AMES over the coming months?

More mix-tapes with major US artists and maybe a 3rd album in the summer but that’s T.B.C.

I plan to reach out a lot more so expect more interviews, magazine appearances etc.. I might even do clubs as well.

How can we contact you?

There’s the myspace which is http://www.myspace.com/djamesuk my website is under construction and that will be http://www.djamesuk.com/ when its done.

You can also email me directly at ukmixtapeking@gmail.com


Any shout’s?

Yeah loads lol

My parents first of all, they’ve been very supportive!

Klassik and all The Fleet DJ’s, Big Narstie, Maxwell D, Mad Sabre, 2Nice, cK-Ray, Sladey K, Donatella, Hunny B, Houston Boy, Dan (had to give the interviewer a big shout out), G (Frsh Ent), Will Kay, Spliss Designs, Shaan, Jacob, Nikkis Music Promotions, Stinga D & VC Crew, Nitro, Mel Gates, Downside, Donnie Cross, Grafh, Alfamega, FK, Sniper E, LATE & Tricksta of Wolftown Recordings and everyone that’s been on a mixtape or worked with me!! And finally..

R,I.P J Denzel you will be missed fam!!


INTERVIEW ORIGINALLY SHOWN AT:

No comments: