Thursday 21 February 2008

Doughboy Interview


DOUGHBOY


Growing up in New York City and moving to Atlanta at an early age, it’s no wonder Doughboy has a sound very much his own. With the release of his first LP back in 2003, it was obvious recognized DJ’s would be calling him to work on projects. Both DJ Drama and Khaled mixed tracks and released mix-tapes with Doughboy, and the rest as they say is history.
What is music from the street, from the heart and soul of someone who has lived the life they have? We asked Doughboy to break it down. Its perfect timing to catch up with the lyrical genius and explore more into what the fans can expect from his next batch of projects.
So without further a due Yo! Raps brings you Doughboy, a sure legend in the making… watch this space people!


Having lived in both Brooklyn and Atlanta your musical style is ‘home-grown’, how would you personally define your musical style?


With me moving to Atlanta when I was 8 yrs old, there isn't much I remember about staying in NY. But with me having a brother that was 6 yrs older than me I grew up listening to a lot of NY rappers like Big Daddy Kane. So for me lyrics were important and with me growing up in the south and being on the streets I was able to put my life in words lyrically. So I would define my music style street but lyrical.


What was it like for you as a child growing up in Brooklyn and then moving south to Atlanta? It must have been a massive change for you?


Well, I was only in the 3rd grade when I got to Atlanta. So for me it wasn't a drastic change.


You released your first LP back in 2003, do you feel you have matured more as an artist since this release?


For sure! Back then I wasn't getting the kind of records that I'm getting now so I made the best of what I had. My music now has more emotion because I have been through a lot of shit since I released my first independent album.


Your LP is currently under construction, what can the fans expect from the finished master piece?


Real quality street music! The streets embrace rappers that are from the streets. In my opinion, the niggas that are getting on are probably from the streets, but that doesn't make you a great rapper. They make good music but I'm a street nigga with the GOD given talent to be able to rap. There is a difference.


You have had some fantastic producers working you such as Jazze Pha and Khao, how did this come about?


Well, I have known Jazze for years just knowing him from the clubs and me coming through studio’s. So I saw Jazze one night In a strip club in Atl (Club Onyx) and I told him that we needed to do a record for my album. He was like I got you. One week later we were in the studio and created a hit. The record is called "So Fly". I met Khao through a friend of mine named Pacaso who manages Khao so he put me in contact with him. We recorded three records for my album.


You released the first Volume of your Mixtape "Da Cookbook" with DJ Khaled. What response did you initially receive from this release?


Niggas kept asking me how the fuck did you get Khaled to do your mixtape and you don't even have a deal?! I heard that shit every day for 2 months straight! But when niggas got a chance to get over the fact that I did have Khaled on the tape, I got some great feedback. The streets love the mixtape! Big shouts to Khaled!


Volume 2 of the mixtape was mixed by DJ Drama, are there any plans to work with DJ Drama on future projects?


Yeah. Me and Drama most definitely be doing some business in the future. I loved the way Drama blended my tape and the energy he put on the tape. Big shout out to Drama, and the Apphiliates.


There is huge talent within Hip Hop right now, what makes you stand out against the others you are competing against?


I think what is going to make me stand out is the fact that I don't fit in one category of rap, I make music for everyone. And the fact that I am lyrical and can make songs. I have the record for when you’re balling in the club poppin bottles, but I also have the record for when you’re trying to figure out how the fuck you’re gonna pay the rent! I have records for my weight men who traffic blocks and make thousands off of a play, but I also have a record for that hustler who doesn't wanna trap all of his life and doesn't feel as if there is any hope. Trust me there is hope.


Do you feel there is enough support within Hip Hop for rising stars like yourself?


Yeah, I do. The fans embrace new artist as long as the feel as if they won’t be here today and gone tomorrow.


As I mentioned earlier Hip Hop really is packed with talent right now, who for you stands out musically right now?


Right now I would have to say Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, and Jeezy.


Of all the tracks you have recorded over the years which are you most proud of and why?


I'm proud of all of my music. The fact that I'm able to record music instead of being in the streets is the biggest obstacle that i have had to overcome. So every time I step in the booth I'm proud of myself.


Life has it's up's and it's down's but what for you has been the biggest obstacle you have had to overcome in life and how did you get through it?


The biggest obstacle for me was with my Dad dying in 2004. He supported me a lot with my music and loosing some one that you are close to will fuck you up bad. I'm still not over that.


There are many rappers out there who we all know rap about a life they have never lived, what is your take on this? You rap about your own life and experiences, are those that are rapping about a false life simply misleading their audience?


Hell yeah, they are misleading their audience. If you could do a background test on the rappers in the industry the fans would be upset!!! I'm not gonna say that they haven't hustled because I'm sure most rappers have touched something. But the quantity these niggas say the have sold, wow! Liars! Now I do believe that some of the rappers have done what they say they have done, but it’s not many in my opinion.


What plans do you have for 2008?


To come in the game and make noise! I have quality street music and 2008 is the time for the world to hear it.


Any shouts?


Big shout out to Nubreed Ent, PNM and MCG. Czar Ent., B.COX and all of my fans who have been supporting me... Free my brother Conrad, free my nigga Pyscho J and my nigga ZOE.


INTERVIEW ORIGINALLY SHOWN AT:

No comments: