Thursday 8 May 2008

Skoolboy Interview


SKOOLBOY


Born in South Carolina but calling a lot of the South his home, it is no wonder Skoolboy really has that Southern flavor behind his music.
Currently working on various different projects Skoolboy is destined to be hitting the air waves in your area soon than you think. As well as being a determined artist within the music industry, Skoolboy is also an accomplished motivational speaker so you know right off point the words within his music have a meaning deeper than most.
Having already had the chance to work with some of today’s biggest names within music, we decided the time was right to get the full low down on Skoolboy, his past, present and future.
Yo! Raps got the 411 with the man himself so kick back relax and let us Skool you.


Give us some background info on Skoolboy?


I was born in a small town in South Carolina. As a youth I have always been in between Atlanta Georgia, and South Carolina. I'm currently backed in South Carolina working on a music project; I want my home state to get credit for breaking a worldwide record. Most importantly motivate those in my home state that you don't have to run off to a major city to become successful; it can happen right at home.


Do you feel you are a role model to others not just a musician?



I always think of myself as first a role model, then a musician. I take that into consideration when I make music. Music has given me a platform to do what I'm born to do, which is to be a great example and motivate others.


Tell us about your single "Money Callin"? You wrote it for the likes of Yung Joc but no one picked it up?


It's not that no one wanted the record, the business proposals where not what I expected for such a great record! In fact, two certified platinum artists considered "Money Callin" for their single. All considering the song proposed a complete buy-out for the song and tract, and that's not a good look! Had I been ignorant to the music industry the proposal would have seemed like a great deal, but I knew I had a hit single on my hands. Realistically I'm already financially secure with other great things in the works, so if a major label or anyone else talking money, they'll have to supersede my collateral! I first wrote the song for Mase, he needed something fresh for his new southern audience. In the process, somehow the song leaked out onto mixtapes and people were sending email blasts for the song! Plus another well known Atlanta group basically duplicated the song, and started pushing it as their single basically swagger jacking! I have the original "Money Callin" and I have my home state behind me pushing the record one hundred percent!


What do you think makes you stand out against other artists?


My image! Not to sound vain. I just have a different look, people look at me as prep or something. I don't wear air forces, and long white tees. I'm really into vintage, and I love Van's. With music, I just make music with substance that's thought provoking. With all that, I still have a strong southern swag. Even if you didn't know me as an artist, when I step into a room my presence is strong.


How would you define your musical style?


My music style is different. It's hard to compare to any other artist, I have a very distinct voice! It's southern, and in a lane by itself!


Why the name Skoolboy? Any deeper meaning behind it?


I grew up in a very poor area of my community, and I was one of the few in my hood to actually go to school without fail. So everyone around me would call me Skoolboy jokingly. Many of the boys I grew up with are either in jail or perished. I carry the name Skoolboy with me; it reminds me of where I come from and how far I've come. Plus it carries well with me being a motivational speaker, especially when in get into high schools speaking about the importance staying in school.


Do you feel the DJ really is the upcoming artists best friend?


DJs are definitely the most important part of making things pop off! I'm glad this process is going the way it is; I get to witness how a record is broken. I hooked up with DJ Prince Ice, the first to break hip-hop music in the state of South Carolina period! DJ Prince Ice is truly an original, living legend. The number one station in the state HOT 103.9 and DJ/personality H-Dub are behind the record. DJ B-Lord is also working the record; he has a stronghold on the streets, clubs, and airways. They're all the first to truly work the record, and the ones I will be taking to the Grammy's! There are many other DJs all over behind the project, which I give major props to.


You have worked with some great people within music over the years. Who has been your biggest influence and why?


I would have to say Andre 3000, he is a trendsetter. He made it a cool thing to be country and from the south. He made the world know that the south got lyrics down here too! Most importantly I admire how he always finds a way to acknowledge God in all his lyrics, and still meet the people in the streets where they are.


You are also a motivational speaker right?


Yes, I am a sought out motivational speaker, it's primarily how I make a living (www.erikvance.org). I speak at high schools, colleges, group homes, spiritual retreats, and churches. I have overcome so many great obstacles that many can relate to, and people are more open to me because of that. I have experienced adversities that most young men have been through like poverty, getting into trouble with the law, staying in the streets, and doing anything to get ahead. Those experiences made me who I am today, I wouldn't change it for the world, but if my speeches can change somebody's life, that is my goal. It would be wrong to go through all that and not be a voice to motivate people to dream big! My biggest message is there is hope and dreams do come true!


Do you have any plans to release a mixtape soon?


I have a mixtape coming soon called "SkoolDayz". It'll have a little something' for everybody. "Money Callin" is for anybody who got any business about them. Another record I´m pushing "Drop Top" featuring T.I. is for all the donk riders, that's how we ride in the South! The mixtape is a joint project with DJ Prince Ice, and H-Dub of Hot 103.9. Production on the project includes SupaFloyd Beats, BeatBanga's, and Halo of Zone 4/Interscope.


What are some projects you are working on in 2008?


For 2008, I´m doing a little bit of writing for people in the industry. I'm working on a project for DJ B-Lord; his slogan is "Happy Juice" so look out for that one soon! Most importantly I'm working on new artists too. My lil´ brother Yung swag is a hot new young artist I'm working with, he has a deep following in the Carolina's already. Also my sister I'm working with Ajah Luv, she's awesome and full of energy. Definitely keep your eyes open for these two!


Growing up was music something you were always interested in?


Music for me was like an escape. My interest in being an artist is something that grew in me over time. I really wasn't on the same page as everybody else around me. The difference was there were people who just wanted to be artists; I was destined to do this. I know I'm definitely supposed to be a part of the music industry and make a major impact.


You really do seem like you could try your hand at anything, how do you find time to fit everything in?


A lot of people say that about me! I really do involve myself in allot of things! If it´s honest, true, and we all can benefit I'm for it! I'm not all about money, more about dreams and making an impact. Favor and relationships take you far, and does what money can't do! Living by that, I got a strong support system behind me who believe in me. No matter what I get myself into, they got me.


Any final comments?


I am a new face for the Carolina's as far as hip-hop is concerned. You can download my hit single "Money Callin" free at www.myspace.com/skoolboy7. Spread the word! Hit me up on MySpace! I love feedback from my fans. Check out my video, it's also on my MySpace! No matter what, dream big because "Prayer Changes Things!"


INTERVIEW ORIGINALLY SHOWN AT:

No comments: